Safety & Environment

Safe working and safeguarding our customers

Carbon Monoxide Awareness

Incomplete combustion can occur when appliances do not have enough oxygen to burn correctly. All fuels are safe to use, however if appliances are not installed, maintained or used correctly then carbon monoxide can be produced.

Signs of carbon monoxide

  • A yellow or orange flame where normally blue
  • Appliances that burn slowly, badly (floppy flames), or go out
  • Staining, sooting or discolouration around the appliance
  • Condensation on walls/windows
  • A strange smell when appliance is on

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Early symptoms of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning can mimic many common ailments and may easily be confused with food poisoning, viral infections, flu or simple tiredness which may include;

  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Dizziness
  • Collapse
  • Unconsciousness

Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning

  • Only ever use a gas safe register engineer to install, maintain or check your gas installation.
  • Ensure all your appliances are serviced annually.
  • Never seal up flues, chimneys, air bricks or ventilation grills.
  • For additional peace of mind ensure you have an audible Carbon Monoxide Alarm manufactured to British Standard EN 50291 and carries a British or European approval mark, such as a CE or Kitemark.